Concord Police Investigate Death of Missing 18-Year-Old

CONCORD — The Concord Police Department is investigating the death of Yadira Hernandez Castro, 18, of Concord, who was found deceased Monday evening following an extensive multi-agency search.

Police said Castro was located around 5:30 p.m. on Monday, February 2, 2026, after a coordinated land search involving the Concord Police Department and Concord Fire Department. Her family was notified shortly after she was positively identified.

Castro had been reported missing at approximately 9:30 a.m. on Sunday, February 1, 2026, after she failed to return home from spending time with a friend the night before. According to her parents, Castro left her home on Saturday, January 31, to hang out with a friend and was expected to be home by 8 p.m.

Authorities said Castro was reportedly intoxicated and was last seen leaving her friend’s residence on Pine Street NW around 10:30 p.m. Her parents stated they last spoke with her by phone at approximately 10:50 p.m.

Immediately after the missing person report was filed, Concord police began an extensive investigation, speaking with family, friends, and neighbors and reviewing all available surveillance footage. Video obtained during the investigation showed Castro walking near Academy Avenue NW and Glenn Street NW at 12:27 a.m. on Sunday, February 1, 2026.

Using the video footage and the last known location of Castro’s cell phone, police requested assistance from the Concord Fire Department’s land search team, as well as K9 units and infrared drone resources, to search the surrounding area. The first land search was conducted from approximately 4:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Sunday, but she was not located.

Investigative efforts resumed early Monday morning, including a second land search. During that search, officers located a deceased individual matching Castro’s description. Positive identification was later confirmed.

Based on preliminary findings, investigators believe alcohol consumption and extreme cold temperatures may have contributed to Castro’s death. Police said there is currently no evidence of foul play, though the investigation remains ongoing. An official cause of death will be determined by the state medical examiner.

The death of Yadira Hernandez Castro has deeply affected the Concord community, as loved ones mourn the loss of a young life taken far too soon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *